A Dozen Red Roses, Chocolates and a Teddy?
It’s less than a week to go till Valentines Day.
Over The Lyne (OTL) can hear the cynical cries of “who cares it’s all a big marketing ploy”.
Of course it is but it is also a great excuse for having a laugh at all things romantic and sexy (with a few bodily fluids thrown in for good measure).
Calling all Valentines Shaggers
Nik Coppin’s comedy show Shaggers is a perennial hit at The Edinburgh Fringe, Brighton, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne comedy festivals. Whether you single or in a relationship it si the perfect alternative Valentines Night.
For comedy fans in Scotland, Shaggers Valentine Show is at The Glad Cafe, 1006a Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow. The headliner is award winning Scott Gibson with support from Anna Devitt, Matt Watson, Rosco McClelland and your host Jeannie Jones.
Available from See Tickets
Going away for a romantic break with your lover doesn’t always go to plan as these stories of romantic valentine mishaps testify.
Safer to stay at home and find your nearest Shaggers Valentines Show
At the end of 2017, comedian Freddie Quinne posted 10 things he’d learned (I’ve adapted them and used his post with his permission). These are his tips and I think they are pretty great too!
1. Just do your own thing – Don’t get hung up on the journey other people are taking to get to where you want to be, and don’t let other people put you off doing your own thing.
2. Save money – put something away each each month (you won’t even notice it’s gone). It all adds up then the can have that holiday or that emergency fund.
3. Don’t put comedy before everything else all the time – There’s a life beyond comedy.
4. A productivity journal gets shit done
5. Set stupidly high goals and targets – Cause then if they come off, great, and if not then you’ve made yourself much better just by working towards a ridiculously high standard.
6. Learn to be happy for people – Instead of being sad because they didn’t call you for Live At The Apollo, be happy for the people that got it. It’s far nicer to live off someone else’s happiness than your own bitterness.
7. Don’t let anyone else tell you the kind of person/act you should be – By all means take advice off people, but don’t make yourself conform to other people’s expectations.
8. Have a little breakdown bag in your car – In case you break down then you’ve got some warm clothes and chocolate and life will be marginally less terrible.
9. Remember what you’re grateful for – write down three things you are grateful right now. It’s reassuring to know that, no matter how shitty a day you’ve had, you can always find three things to be grateful for.
10. Everything changes – Just because something’s been true for the last 10 years doesn’t mean it’ll still be true tomorrow.
Watch a clip of Freddie Quinne below & follow him on Facebook
If you have got great advice for good mental health this year then please comment below.
After the excesses of Christmas day, it starts! Time to play annoying phases BINGO
How many of these have been said in your house this Christmas?
Please comment and add your own below!
- I’m bored!
- Is there anything to eat?
- The batteries have run out!
- This is broken!
- I think the instructions have been thrown out with the wrapping paper!
- There’s nothing on the TV
Watching classic films whilst digesting a week’s worth of calories in one day is a big part of Christmas holidays. What are your favourite funny films? How many of Over The Lyne’s favourite’s have you seen? OTL would love to hear your list (please leave a comment).
Over The Lyne Comedy Club’s Favourite films to watch in the Christmas Holidays
- The Castle (1997)
- Some Like it Hot (1959)
- The Blues Brothers (1980)
- Withnail and I (1987)
- Top Hat (1935)
- Best in Show (2000)
- The Man with Two Brains (1999)
- The Life of Brian (1979)
- So I Married an Axe Murderer (1999)
- Wayne’s World (1992)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Peace and Laughter from Over The Lyne Comedy Club
Over The Lyne comedy is absolutely delighted to have pulled a Christmas Cracker! We have the hilarious Larry Dean coming to OTL at the Bowling Club on the 29th December fresh from his awesome debut appearance on LIVE AT THE APOLLO!
Get tickets before they sell out! Tickets are available from WEST LINTON PHARMACY or Overthelyne.com
Laugh off the turkey or get tickets as a great Christmas present for the comedy fans in your house!
Jeannie will be your host with some awesome support acts!
Fun opening first gig at the County Inn in Peebles, thanks to Nick and the team at the County and everyone who came along, hopefully we can build on this first night and grow a loyal audience. The next night is the 27th of December with headliner Vladimir McTavish and Over The Lyne favourite Nik Coppin.
Here are a few photos courtesy of Matt Watson.
Video Posted on Updated on
OTL are delighted to announce Larry Dean as the headline act for our Christmas Special on the 29th December at West Linton Bowling club.
Looking for a perfect Christmas present for the difficult to buy for comedy loving family member (over 18yo)? Entertaining family between Christmas and New Year but can’t be bothered trailing into Edinburgh? Look no further! Get them tickets to Christmas Comedy at the bowling club with the awesome Larry Dean!
THIS WILL SELL OUT SO GET IN EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT!
Sharp and unexpected lines…an irresistible chutzpah
He was crowned Scottish Comedian Of The Year when he was 23, and since then his star has continued to rise. His 2015 debut Edinburgh Fringe show Out Now! received both widespread critical acclaim and a nomination for the Foster’s Comedy Award for Best Newcomer.
2017 saw Larry Dean make his debut appearance on BBC1’s Live at the Apollo and new Comedy Central UK show Roast Battle. Larry previously appeared twice on BBC Presents: Best of the Edinburgh Festival and Live From the Comedy Store for Comedy Central UK and has also performed on ITV2’s Elevenish and BBC Radio 4’s Don’t Make Me Laugh.
Larry has worked alongside some of the biggest names in comedy, having been invited join the line up on Laugh Out Loud with Kevin Hart at the prestigious Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, as well as supporting Eddie Izzard on tour (OMG!!!)
Over The Lyne are excited to announce a new monthly gig in Peebles in the newly refurbished upstairs bar and function room in the The County Inn, High street, Peebles.
On the 6th of December our headliner is Ray Bradshaw.